(PHOTO: CARLOS OSORIO/TORONTO STAR) –
Chris Bundas –
Chaotic start to last night’s mayoral debate. 6-week long ‘Distracted Driving Campaign’ kicks off today. TTC bus driver who ran red and nearly killed woman last week has been fired.
CHAOTIC START TO MAYORAL DEBATE LAST NIGHT
The latest Toronto mayoral debate got hectic before it even began last night. Rob Ford started the arguing with organizers at the entranceway to the East York church where the debate was being held. Volunteers with the Parkview Hills Community Association were upset when the mayor tried to get inside the Presteign-Woodbine United with his driver, Jerry Agyemang, and Doug Ford. All candidates we previously told they could only bring one person with them. Police defused the situation quickly though and the other candidates agreed to allow Doug Ford, Rob Ford’s campaign manager, inside the debate. Ford was asked about how he plans to continue to push his fiscal agenda with his former allies on council, such as Doug Holyday and Mike Del Grande, now gone. Ford defended his “lone wolf” reputation and stated that he will “lead by example” which caused laughing by some in the audience.
(PHOTO: CARLOS OSORIO/TORONTO STAR)
DISTRACTED DRIVING CAMPAIGN KICKS OFF TODAY
CAA South Central Ontario is teaming up with police in Toronto and York Region, with members of the Traffic Safety Coalition, in launching a six-week distracted driving initiative this morning. The aim of the campaign is to raise awareness regarding high risk behaviours behind the wheel and to urge drivers to focus on the road.
TTC BUS DRIVER WHO RAN RED FIRED
The driver of the bus that was caught running a red light and nearly hitting a pedestrian last week is no longer working for the TTC. Toronto’s transit authority investigated the incident after the video appeared on YouTube and went viral. The video showed the bus driving right through a red, nearly killing a woman crossing the street. The incident occurred at Ionview Road and Eglinton Avenue in Scarborough around 9:15 am, Monday July 21.
MAN CHARGED AFTER URGING PEOPLE ONLINE TO THROW FOOD AT ROB FORD
37-year-old Toronto man, Dilaz Rajwanim has been charged after urging people online to throw food and beer at Mayor Rob Ford during Ford Fest. Police say Rajwani turned himself in on Friday and has been charged with counselling an uncommitted indictable offence. He is scheduled to appear in court September 3. Hundreds of supporters and a handful of protesters showed up for Friday evening’s Ford Fest, where the mayor posed for pictures and signed autographs.
LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS
Embattled Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling lost his attempt to block his estranged wife, Shelly Sterling’s $2 billion sale of the team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer yesterday. Judge Michael Levanas tentatively ruled in favor of Shelly Sterling, saying she acted properly in removing her husband from the trust that owns the NBA team. Donald Sterling will appeal, his attorneys said. No surprise there.