By Christmas, Jimmy Page will have reissued two more Led Zeppelin albums after Led Zeppelin I, II, III earlier this year.
The “Led Zeppelin IV” deluxe edition includes unreleased versions of every song heard on the original album including alternate mixes of “Misty Mountain Hop” and “Four Sticks”, mixes of “The Battle Of Evermore” and “Going To California” heavy with guitar and mandolin, and the fabled, alternate version “Stairway To Heaven”, mixed at the Sunset Sound Studio in Los Angeles which lets fans hear one of the most revered songs of all time as they have never heard it before.
LED ZEPPELIN topped the charts again in 1973 with “Houses Of The Holy”, which features legendary tracks such as “The Song Remains The Same” and “No Quarter” while also showcasing the continuing evolution of the band’s signature sound with the reggae-tinged “D’yer Mak’er” and the funk jam “The Crunge”. The album has been certified diamond by the RIAA for sales of over 11 million copies.
The seven unreleased tracks on the companion audio disc include rough and working mixes for “The Ocean” and “Dancing Days” that reveal a deeper look inside the recording sessions of these classic songs. Other standout recordings include the guitar mix backing track for “Over The Hills And Far Away” and a version of “The Rain Song” without John Paul Jones’ piano.
According to Rolling Stone Magazine, ” Page said he was “fed up” with Plant’s comments in a June interview with The National, but ultimately took the high road. “We have a great history together and like all brothers, we have these moments where we don’t speak on the same page but that’s life,” he said.
Here are the track listings for the deluxe editions’ companion audio discs (the songs remain the same on the original LPs):
Led Zeppelin IV (Companion Audio)
1. “Black Dog,” Basic Track With Guitar Overdubs
2. “Rock and Roll,” Alternate Mix
3. “The Battle of Evermore,” Mandolin/Guitar Mix From Headley Grange
4. “Stairway to Heaven,” Sunset Sound Mix
5. “Misty Mountain Hop,” Alternate Mix
6. “Four Sticks,” Alternate Mix
7. “Going to California,” Mandolin/Guitar Mix
8. “When the Levee Breaks,” Alternate U.K. Mix
Houses of the Holy (Companion Audio)
1. “The Song Remains The Same,” Guitar Overdub Reference Mix
2. “The Rain Song,” Mix Minus Piano
3. “Over the Hills And Far Away,” Guitar Mix Backing Track
4. “The Crunge,” Rough Mix – Keys Up
5. “Dancing Days,” Rough Mix With Vocal
6. “No Quarter,” Rough Mix With JPJ Keyboard Overdubs – No Vocal
7. “The Ocean,” Working Mix