Q New Media Editor / Chris Bundas –
Apple set to release iPhone 6 and iWatch today. The ‘Taxi-Killer’ UberX has finally hit Toronto. Ray Rice cut by the Baltimore Raven and suspended indefinitely by the NFL.
RAY RICE CUT BY THE RAVENS, SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY BY NFL AFTER ASSAULT VIDEO
Running back Ray Rice has been cut by the Baltimore Ravens hours after TMZ released a video that appeared to show him assaulting his then-fiancée, Janay Palmer in February. The Ravens’ decision to cut Rice was then soon followed by the National Football League making an announcement, suspending Rice indefinitely. The release of the video fire outrage towards Rice, his team and the league. Following his Atlantic City domestic violence arrest in February, he received a two-game suspension from the NFL league, which was criticized by many as too lenient. After the outrage to the initial two-game suspension, changes to the league’s policy on domestic violence were made. A first offense would result in a six-game ban and a second offense would result in being banned for life. Rice will have to apply to the NFL for reinstatement.
KATHLEEN WYNNE IS MS POPULAR
Since her big election victory in June, Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne has become “Ms. Popular.” According to a new Angus Reid Global based on the approval ratings of premiers, Wynne is up eight points to 41 per cent approval, since the June election. Wynne and her Liberals won a majority government that month, unexpectedly destroying then Progressive Conservatives leader Tim Hudak. However, Wynne still has some catching up to do if she wants Saskatchewan’s premier, Brad Wall’s approval rating of 66 per cent — the most popular premier in Canada.
THE TAXI-KILLER ‘UBERX’ HITS TORONTO
While the company continues fighting with the city over the legalities of its services, yesterday afternoon Uber launched its low-fare taxi service in Toronto, Promising to beat taxi fares by 40%, a ride from Bay and King to the Yonge-Eglinton area will cost $12 using UberX, compared to a $19 cab fare, as reported by Mississauga News. Traditional taxi services are threatened by Uber and other car services similar to it, fearing the addition of Uber may cost them their livelihoods. Uber states drivers can earn dramatically more working for their company opposed to a traditional taxi service than for a cab company. UberX claims NYC drivers earn an average of $91,000 a year compared to the average cab driver income of $30,000. Drivers for Uber only pay 20% of their fares to the company while pocket the other 80%.
IPHONE 6 DEBUT TODAY?
Apple is set to unveil its next big thing in technology today, in an attempt to show they still hold the power over the masses. The tech giant is expected to announce a smartwatch as well as an iPhone with a larger screen. Rumours of U2 (Steve Jobs favourite group) performing live at the event to promote their new album have been floating around as well. As always though, Apple hasn’t said what’s to expect today, though the company’s has repeatedly promised major breakthroughs products.
JURY SELECTION BEGINS FOR LUKA MAGNOTTA TRIAL
Luka Rocco Magnotta’s lawyer says he is looking for open-minded and intelligent people to serve as jurors in his client’s first-degree murder trial. Many potential jurors were exempted Monday as the task of selecting a non-biased jurors for such a high-profile case is proving difficult. “For me, he should have been castrated two years ago,” said one prospective juror. Many of the 400 people who showed up at the Montreal courthouse Monday morning for jury duty made their pleas for dismissal. Magnotta’s lawyers and the Crown will begin going through a pool of 1,600 people over the next two weeks to select 14 who will hear the trial. Magnotta faces five charges in connection with the May 2012 slaying and dismemberment of Jun Lin, a 33-year-old Chinese engineering student.