WATCH: YouTube turns 10
It’s probably best not to think about the amount of hours you’ve wasted on YouTube over the last ten years, but that’s how long the website’s been up and running.
On this day ten years ago, the first ever video was uploaded to YouTube on April 23, 2005 at 8:27pm. It was uploaded by the then 25-year-old co-founder Jawed Karim, and it was an 18 second clip of him at the San Diego Zoo.
To this day, it’s had over 19 million views. The first ever comment was “interesting…” posted by user “COBALTGRUV.”
Fun facts about the video streaming service:
– One of the richest YouTuber is a woman who’s face has never been seen. Her channel, called DC Toys Collector, is anonymously ran and consists of videos of her hands opening toys, speaking in a soft voice describing the toy. It’s estimated she made over $4 million CAD with her channel.
– YouTube’s estimated revenue for 2014 is $4 billion USD
– An average of four billion people watch a video on the site daily, with an estimated 323 days worth of video viewed every minute
– 300 hours of video are uploaded to the site every minute
– 50 percent of YouTube’s traffic is from a mobile device