To you, your pet is probably priceless, a family member, but according to a kennel involved in a lawsuit a pet is property and monetarily not worth much.
The lawsuit involves an 8-year-old dachshund mix named Lola. She was adopted from a shelter by Bob and Elizabeth Monyak of Atlanta. Back in 2012, their family took a vacation to France. They left their 13 year old Labrador retriever Callie and Lola in the care of The Inn, one of five reputable Atlanta-area kennels run by Barking Hound Village. They boast “private suites and secluded areas for rest and relaxation”. Sounds lovely. They gave the kennel special instructions because Callie needed to take medication for arthritis, Rimadyl, an anti-inflammatory. They claim when they picked the dogs up Lola was clearly ill. After a visit to the vet she was diagnosed with acute renal failure, most likely from an overdose of Rimadyl. Nine months later, after several treatments and vet visits Lola died. The Monyak family believes the kennel mistakenly gave Callie’s medication to Lola.
But this case isn’t about whether the kennel is responsible it’s about how much Lola was worth. Barking Hound Village argues that Lola was property and only worth “market value”, since she was a free rescue mutt, the value is nothing. Lola’s family wants to recover the $67,000 in veterinary and other expenses they say they spent, and they want a jury to consider Lola’s “actual value” as a member of their family.