An e-cigarette exploded in a man’s pants pocket while shopping in New York’s Grand Central Terminal on Wednesday.
Witnesses say it looked like fireworks were going off when the vaporizer pen blew up. A spokesman for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority said the man suffered leg and hand burns and was taken to hospital. Thankfully, the injuries are not considered serious.
Electronic smoking devices have been known to catch fire occasionally. The US Department of Transportation even issued a rule that passengers cannot pack e-cigarettes in their checked luggage to prevent in-flight fires.
When I first heard this story about an exploding cigarette, I couldn’t help but think of this…