We made up a word to describe these things…ForGONEten. Do you still say “dial” a phone? Or “roll up the window”?
These are things or expressions that are outdated yet we still use them…
Floppy disks aren’t really a thing anymore, but the ‘save’ icon that looks like a floppy lives on. What other outdated products live on in other forms despite being long gone?
• When you take a photo with a camera phone it makes the sound of a camera shutter, despite the fact that there is no shutter involved.
• The voicemail icon is a cassette tape.
• We still say “roll the window down” in a car, despite nearly every vehicle having automatic windows.
• Movie previews are still referred to as “trailers”. They used to be played at the end of the movie.
• We “dial” a phone number.
• Tin cans aren’t tin — they’re mostly steel or aluminum.
• We say someone “sounds like a broken record”.
• We rarely store gloves in our car glove compartment.
Can you think of any others?