A final week of backpacking adventure? Getting the kids ready for University? Travelling around our fine city? In any case, follow these military style packing tips to make your last week of summer vacation easier & more enjoyable!
- Pack, re-pack, then re-pack again! The repetition will make you an expert packer, maximizing space and carving into memory where everything is for easy/quick access.
- Pack in reverse order. Make sure the last thing you pack i the first thing you’ll need next time you open your bag! If you’re landing at 2am then straight to your hotel, make sure your jammies are top of the order (last thing packed!) to make life a TON easier.
- Be conscious of weight. The heavier items should be packed closest to your spine (when using a backpack) this way, the strain/balance will be optimized for longer travel, fewer stops, less aggravation. If it’s a duffle bag with handles, the heaviest things should be in the centre of the bag, below the handles. Same reason!
- Roll, Fold, & Tie! Rolling items like socks, pants and T-shirts makes them more compact and actually reduces wrinkling! If you can tie them off after rolling, even better! Think of packing this way like a game of Tetris…building blocks!
- Socks, socks and more socks!! Socks make a wonderful “glue” in a bag of loose clothes etc. Plus, it’s the one item (other than undies!) that you want too many of rather than not enough.